Subject: Re: Do We Need a New Evangelist
From: Scott Goehring <scott@poverty.bloomington.in.us>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 12:49:20 -0500

In article <19990401134253.15002.qmail@desk.crynwr.com>, Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
writes:

Russell> Everybody who works with libre software should go read Eric
Russell> Raymond's _Homesteading the Noosphere_ paper.
Russell> http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/homesteading/index.html

Russell> If he's right (and I'm not going to argue that he is; read it
Russell> for yourself), then people write libre software expecting to
Russell> be paid in reputation.

I have long contended that ESR's "Homesteading" thesis is incorrect.
The primary motivation behind writing libre software is
self-enablement; that is, people write libre software to solve a
problem that they need solved, usually for their own use.  The
aggrandization of personal prestige has never been an issue for me,
and is not an issue for most of the people I know who write libre
software.  The issue of retaining due credit is a motive that plays
into choice of licensing; but not a motive behind the decision to
write the program in the first place.