Subject: Re: Do We Need a New Evangelist
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen Sitaker)
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 17:14:16 -0500 (EST)

One more post today.

Russ Nelson writes:
> *This* isn't an open discussion, then.  I own the mailing list, I
> decide what gets posted to it.  My decision thus far has been that
> everything sent to the list gets posted.  And thus far it hasn't been
> a problem because that's been seen to be fair.

Your decision has been to let the list subscribers decide what gets
posted -- that is, your decision has been not to decide.

This is qualitatively different from running a moderated mailing list
where you really do decide what does and doesn't go out.

> We have no power to force you to follow us.

Yes you do.  You just don't know it.

If Ian goes off and founds his own Free Source Certification
Corporation, and Ben goes off and tells the press how he, as a
long-time software developer, thinks OSI stinks, etc., it will be
harmful to all of us, but in particular, them.  If I argue with people
whenever they refer to Linux as Open Source, people will find me
annoying.  (Witness the clamor about "GNU/Linux".)

You have the power of the public's perceptions.

This is exactly how the World Wide Web works: the HTML files are the pithy
description on the paper tape, and your Web browser is Ronald Reagan.
  -- Neal Stephenson, at http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning_print.html