Subject: Re: Need arguments Pro LGPL
From: friedman@GNU.AI.MIT.EDU (Noah Friedman)
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 93 20:42:22 edt

It seems to me the question initially involved the *LGPL*, and there is
something to consider there.  The other company has no obligation to put
any further work under the LGPL when using LGPL'd code they received from
somewhere else.  They may not, in fact, contribute anything back to the
company who wrote the original code.

Secondly, it seems like a bad idea to me to expound on the advantages of
free software by suggesting that none of your competition will touch your
GPL-infected code with a 10 foot pole.  It lends strength to the detractors
who say that financially-viable free software is a fluke that could not
work if everyone shared code, and that the primary reason they stay in
business is that everyone else is just too scared to dive in and plagiarize
them to death.

I hope that is not an accurate analysis of the real situation.