Subject: Re: basic netiquette (off topic)
From: craig@jcb-sc.com
Date: 26 May 1999 01:49:58 -0000

>I DO NOT LIKE IT when people reply in private. It allows for them to say more
>illogical things and not be held to them. I DO NOT LIKE IT. You wanna reply to
>me, do it in public, unless you really have a valid reason to keep your
>communication private.

Then tell them that, *in private*.  Unless you're perfectly happy
with *other* people making their *own* judgement calls that things
you tell them in private are okay to publicize, you shouldn't do
the same to others.

And, his "valid reason" to keep his communication private is none of your
business.  He made that choice; it is left to you to either accept it
by dealing with the email in private, or not accept it by "bouncing" it
back saying something "I am unwilling to pursue a discussion in private
about this, but will consider pursuing this if you post your email to the
list where it belongs".

That puts the ball in *his* court, which is a heck of a lot better than
smashing him over the head with your racquet on the theory that he
shouldn't have hit you the ball in the first place.

>And I was NOT aware of any particular, written in stone, netiquette. If there is
>such a written and widely adhered to document then please direct me to it,
>otherwise we will have to disagree on what is right and wrong here.

When I was growing up, we called that document "Second Grade".

Whether it's "widely adhered to" should be irrelevant to you, unless
you really think society is best when everyone acts according to the
lowest common denominator of fairness, decency, and so on.

Just because it's "the net" doesn't mean normal rules of social
interaction don't apply.

        tq vm, (burley)