Subject: Re: the walls have ears
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 31 May 1999 13:15:57 -0000

Stephen J. Turnbull writes:
 > However, you will never hear my mother, or 99% of the other hundreds
 > of millions of users of Microsoft Word, tell "if-only-I-had-source"
 > anecdotes.  And _that_ is my point.  You argue that users always have
 > a value for source, and I say, of course.  But if it costs too much to
 > use it, they won't act on that value.

That's an argument against buying insurance.  But people *do* buy
insurance because they think that, at some point in the future, the
insurance will have been cheaper.  Insurance companies buy risk from
customers.  Free software businesses buy risk from their customers --
the trick is to do so in a way that generates profits instead of the
losses that proprietary software vendors believe are inevitable.  And
maybe this is better done with an MIT, GPL, MPL, or some other license
that hasn't been invented yet.

Crynwr supports Open Source(tm) Software| PGPok | Good parenting creates
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | an adult, not a perfect
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | child.