Subject: Re: <various threads> (my apologies)
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 15:44:07 +0900 (JST)

To the members of the FSB list:

Please forgive a short, off-topic, personal post.

I would like to present my sincere apologies for starting (technically
not quite true, but I won't hide behind such a technicality) and
persisting in the "Literary Criticism of RMS" theme that infected
several threads.  It inevitably had the appearance of personal attack,
and in this kind of situation, ethically, I cannot draw a technical
distinction between the appearance and the reality of personal attack.
I did it with consideration, though not malice; for this severe
misjudgement I apologize.

For the record, I would like to state that I consider Richard Stallman
to have acted honestly and in good will in all cases that I have
observed, although I have had and continue to have deep disagreements
with him over scientific theory, policy application, and presentation
of policy, and will continue to express those opinions via appropriate
channels.  I accept responsibility for any appearance to the contrary,
and hope hereby to dispel any such impression.

I would like to thank all the participants in FSB for their patience
during my period of "incapacity".  I am sure it caused some of you
distress, and I apologize for that.

It will not happen again, although I plan to continue participating
vigorously in on-topic discussions.

Sincerely,
Stephen J. Turnbull