Subject: Re: the walls have ears
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 03:17:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 29 May 1999, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     To illustrate this, let me point out that there is *no* such thing as a
>     "non-free" "version" of Apache.
>
> I have been told that a non-free modified version of Apache, which has
> added encryption features, is widely used.  (I don't know whether the
> name it is known by includes "Apache".)  If this is not true, that would
> be good news.

As relayed privately, I think my original claim of "FUD" could be based
upon the definition of "version" I am used to when thinking of software;
E.g., Apache 1.2 and Apache 1.3 are different versions of Apache, whereas
Stronghold and Websphere are distinctly *not* versions of, but are
derivatives of, and do not carry the name "Apache" except as to refer to
an origin of some of their code.  I would be surprised, actually, if this
was not the commonly accepted meaning.  So when I saw "non-free version of
BSD", that's what I responded (perhaps overly harshly) to.

> I am sure that Behlendorf intends this accusation seriously, and
> really does analyze my statement as dishonest.  The point is that once
> he found that way of interpreting my words, it fit his prejudice, so
> he did bother to check (as he ought to have checked!) whether he might
> have misunderstood them instead.

I think you're dismissing valid points of mine, but I don't have the
energy anymore to repeat them or provide further justification.  But for
the record, I didn't call you dishonest; "FUD", Fear Uncertainly and
Doubt, is a statement made by one entity intended to place the seeds of
(F,U,D) in the minds of others.

I was unhappy with the terminology you were using because I felt that the
result of those terms, whether by conscious intention or not, was to
confuse two really different concepts (licenses and branding) which are
more important in the non-copyleft space than they are in the copyleft
space.  I think the net effect of statements like that from someone like
you would be to discourage people (and other businesses) from working on
or otherwise contributing to BSD/MIT/Apache-style-licensed code, and if
you're going to do that, at least have a good reason for it.  =)

I think this subject is probably ripe for closure.

	Brian