Subject: Re: why Linux is popular (was Re: the walls have ears)
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen Sitaker)
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 11:34:26 -0400 (EDT)

Craig Burley wrote:
> As I said in private email to Johnathan Shapiro, it appears to me that
> Linux is getting lots of attention these days, not because it's UNIX
> per se

I started using Linux because it was Unix per se.  This meant
- I could continue using the Internet applications I was used to using
at the University (on AIX, Ultrix, IRIX, and SunOS)
- it came Internet-ready pretty much out of the box
- it was free software, and proprietary software license agreements
have always put a little tight ball in the pit of my stomach
- it worked well

I think most of the people I know who started using Linux started using
Linux for pretty much the same reasons.  This was around 1993-1996.

Walled forks and possible forks were not on my mind.

I think Linux is getting lots of attention these days because of all
the people who started using it in 1993-1996 writing great software for
it, most of which is free.

TurboLinux is outselling NT in Japan's retail software market 10 to 1,
so I hear.
-- http://www.performancecomputing.com/opinions/unixriot/981218.shtml