Subject: Re: the walls have ears
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 01:29:33 -0400

> I participated in a thread on a different list where one of the
> participants put together, in all seriousness, the outline of a
> business plan for such (actually, the wordprocessor portion).  It
> was pretty plausible[1] but IMHO doomed to failure.  Hasn't been
> tested yet, so I don't know.

abisource.com is building this word processor, and that's where I
stole the technical ideas from.  Their business model is different
from the one I proposed.  Instead of selling run-time licenses, they
are giving away the razor and selling the blades, er, GPLing the
application, shipping gratis, and selling support.  I conclude the
product is designed to be bad enough to require support.

A member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) http://lpf.ai.mit.edu