Subject: Re: Open Content woes
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 00:37:20 -0600 (MDT)

    So the situation is similar with Corel. The "look and feel" of WordPerfect
    is trademarked by Corel, and hence any image depicting that "look and
    feel" is subject to copyright restrictions. This would include
    screenshots. Hence the problem.

Trademark and copyright are totally different legal systems, so I am
not sure what meaning to give this statement.  If they claim to
copyright the interface, they are doing something egregious, which
mostly stopped when Apple and then Lotus lost such cases.  That would
be extremely controversial, and an attack on the community.

But if it is just a trademark, it is not a major issue, and not a
factor in this decision.  My understanding, from talking with laywers,
is that there is no restriction on mentioning and showing trademarks
inside a book, as long as it is clear you are not using them to name
your own product.  For example, I expect that Ford is a trademark, but
you can write "He was driving a Ford" in your book if you like.  You
do not need Ford's permission for that.

The example you gave for LinuxCare was an ad, and ads could be a
different issue.  Or perhaps there was nothing to make it clear
that LinuxCare was not calling its product Red Hat.