Subject: Re: The GPL is "inherited"
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 08:10:00 +0000

Bruce Perens wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 03:11:19PM -0600, Richard Stallman wrote:
> > Yes it will.  The idea is that you can limit certain very prominent
> > kinds of trademark use to unmodified versions only.  The trademark
> > uses that would be licensed for use in modified versions would be
> > those in many other obscure places, which would be too much hassle to
> > require people to check.
>
> Richard,
>
> Besides "unmodified versions", it would be nice to allow for
>
> 1. Certification programs. Comply 100% with my API and pass my
>    regression test, and then you get to use my certification mark.
>
> 2. Revenue licensing. Pay the author something and get to use the mark.

My own thinking for a while has been that Trademark is going to be very
important IP for free software.  The regression-test certification
would, for example, get around some problems with a benchmarking (IIRC)
program distributed by one of the Linux distros (RedHat?) a while ago.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)