Subject: Re: [ppc-mobo] Re: GPL-like hardware design license?
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 10:35:56 +0900 (JST)

    >> Probably not.  Assuming that my business and its competitors
    >> have similar needs and opportunities, cost reductions for a
    >> business due to decreased input prices will be matched by
    >> similar reductions for the competitors.  If my rivals compete
    >> on price, the cost reductions will simply disappear at the
    >> bottom line due to "pass-through" reductions in price.

    Ben> Right.  And who benefits?  The customers.

And especially don't forget the ones who decided not to buy at the
higher price:  this is a net increase in economic activity, not merely
a transfer of profit from supplier to customer.

    Ben> Free markets are *not* in the interests of existing
    Ben> businesses!

Financially, no.  But if you're good enough to support yourself
without the crutch of a monopoly, and are basically in it to score
points in the "my customers are happier" game (or any of a number of
similar "economy of ideas" motivations, see the GNU Manifesto for a
partial list), it increases the fun.