Subject: Re: [openip] Re: GNU License for Hardware
From: "William C. Cheng" <william@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 20:12:15 -0400

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

  > I agree that the term "free software" is not perfectly clear.  There
  > seems to be no better alternative in English--all the alternatives
  > have flaws of their own.  English has no everyday word analogous to
  > "libre" which means "free as in freedom, not as in price."

I went to the Merriam-Webster Online site <URL:http://www.m-w.com/> and
entered "liberated" and got:

    Main Entry: lib·er·ate
    Pronunciation: 'li-b&-"rAt
    Function: transitive verb
    Inflected Form(s): -at·ed; -at·ing
    Etymology: Latin liberatus, past participle of liberare, from liber
    Date: circa 1623
    1 : to set at liberty : FREE; specifically :
        to free (as a country) from domination by a foreign power

"Liberated" also seems similar to "freed", which is what Russ Nelson
liked (as I recall).

I don't speak French, so I don't know if the meaning of the word "libre"
is any where close to the meaning of the word "liberated".

--
Bill Cheng // bill.cheng@acm.org <URL:http://bourbon.cs.umd.edu:8001/william/>