Subject: Re: [openip] Re: GNU License for Hardware
From: David Welton <davidw@master.debian.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 19:31:29 -0500

On Wed, Oct 13, 1999 at 08:12:15PM -0400, William C. Cheng wrote:
> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>   > I agree that the term "free software" is not perfectly clear.  There
>   > seems to be no better alternative in English--all the alternatives
>   > have flaws of their own.  English has no everyday word analogous to
>   > "libre" which means "free as in freedom, not as in price."
>
> I went to the Merriam-Webster Online site <URL:http://www.m-w.com/> and
> entered "liberated" and got:

> "Liberated" also seems similar to "freed", which is what Russ Nelson
> liked (as I recall).

'Liberated' and 'freed' place emphasis on the transition from not free
to free, whereas 'libre' and 'free' just mean that something *is*
free.

> I don't speak French, so I don't know if the meaning of the word
> "libre" is any where close to the meaning of the word "liberated".

Libre, if anything like the Italian 'libero', just means free, in the
sense of freedom.  Liberated means that something is now free that was
not in the past, and probably that someone or something effected this
change.

Ciao,
--
David N. Welton            (    Circa mea pectora
davidw@prosa.it            )    multa sunt suspiria