Subject: Re: [openip] Re: "rights" and "freedoms"
From: Jean Camp <Jean_Camp@harvard.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 11:04:05 -0500

>The cost is already $25000.

No it is not. As point of fact one can get a patent for $8,000. Small
inventors do get patents. This may be the mean cost but this is not the
cost and such assumption creates a flawed  solution.

I think the solution would be to allow patenting for software under what
was discussed here under the delayed PL. That is, to get protection it is
required to
- show actual source  (Description of the invention)
- escrow the source
- release the source to public domain after some time period (five years?)

Problems with patents is that they are too broad, held for too long, and
too difficult to challange. The second is easiest to address. If there is
such a thing as the B-school's widely touted Internet time then patents
should run on such a clock.

Zittrain did a better job of describing this. I am merely in agreement.

-Jean