Subject: Re: Open letter to those who believe in a right to free software
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 18:04:42 -0600 (MDT)

    Sharing copies of programs with your neighbors is a way of decreasing
    the share of development costs borne by people you know at the expense
    of increasing the cost share of people you don't know.[1]

You seem to be making three assumptions here:

1. That the program is proprietary.
2. That the people in the scenario accept the legitimacy of that.
3. That who gets how much money is very important.
4. That the money paid for copies goes to pay for the development.

In reality, #4 is only partly true, as you should know.
Maybe we are only reducing someone's profits.

#3 is a matter of priorities and values;
my values are not like that.

#2 could never be true if I am involved in the scenario.

When #1 is false, then the whole scenario is not even meaningful.