Subject: Re: Open letter to those who believe in a right to free software
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 16:44:48 +0900 (JST)

    Ben> Ironically slavery is the example that I think shows it best!

    Ben> Why during the 1800's did people move from accepting slavery
    Ben> to thinking it immoral?

    Ben> Do you still think that I am abusing the word "ethics"?

Yes.  Read what the Founding Fathers had to say about it.  Or the Holy
Fathers.  Or the Patriarchs (viz, Jubilee).

Economics doesn't change ethics.  It makes giving up hypocrisy
cheaper.

I am very aware of precisely how this applies to my own belief in the
benefits of proprietary software.  That's why I asked people who have
the opposite belief to help me change it.