Subject: Re: The merger: a user's perspective
From: "Tim O'Reilly" <tim@oreilly.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 12:31:28 -0800

Kragen Sitaker wrote:

> If it turns out that the Heinz business model really doesn't work
> long-term in software, and Red Hat goes down the tubes, we will lose
> the current structure of people who maintain gcc.  Worse, Red Hat is at
> risk of a hostile takeover, being publicly owned in a market with very
> volatile stock prices; Cygnus wasn't.

Agreed.  But as Larry Augustin has pointed out very presciently,
companies don't run open source projects, individual developers do.
There's no guarantee that the developers on the gcc team will stay at
Cygnus if they start going astray, nor is there any need for them to do
so.

It's true that Cygnus has more expertise, as a company, than most open
source companies, and that no individual developer has quite the clout
that some of the developers do in other projects, but I still think that
the open source model is resilient enough to take care of this.

101 Morris Street, Sebastopol, CA 95472
+1 707-829-0515, FAX +1 707-829-0104
tim@oreilly.com, http://www.oreilly.com