Subject: Re: Who holds the copyright? (was Re: The merger: a user's perspective)
From: "Bradley M. Kuhn" <bkuhn@ebb.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 01:33:12 -0500

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>    Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 05:10:31 -0500
>    From: "Bradley M. Kuhn" <bkuhn@ebb.org>
>
>    However, IIRC, there are a number of free software products for
>    which Cygnus and/or Red Hat holds the copyright on.
>
> All GNU software that Cygnus works on is copyright FSF.  Cygnus made a
> blanket copyright assignment to the FSF a long time ago.  This
> includes gcc, g++, gdb, binutils, and dejagnu.

It doesn't include the new gcj, does it?

I think most of the Java work Cygnus has done is copyright them, isn't it?
(Hopefully someone who knows will set me straight.)

>  But Cygnus doesn't have the copyright on any of the basic free software
> tools with which Cygnus is associated.

That's good to know.

> I don't know about Red Hat.

RPM, plus their install program, I believe, are all copyright by them.

> I also don't know what the status of Cygnus's blanket assignment will be
> after the merger completes in January.

I would suspect it is null-and-void for any new stuff, but they can't take
it back for the old stuff.
--
         -  bkuhn@ebb.org  -  Bradley M. Kuhn  -  bkuhn@gnu.org  -
                          http://www.ebb.org/bkuhn