Subject: Re: The merger: a user's perspective
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 11:18:54 -0500 (EST)

Bradley M. Kuhn writes:
 > Tim O'Reilly wrote:
 > > Bravo, Bob!  Anyone who has run a successful business understands the
 > > principle that Bob has laid out here.  Unfortunately, a lot of people
 > > who haven't done that are still willing to comment.
 >
 > Do you mean here that those of us who have never started our own company
 > have no authority whatsoever which to comment?

No, it means that the people who *have* started companies laugh at you
when you get it wrong.  It's like listening to someone brag about sex
that you know they didn't have.  I mean, just hearing it makes you
blush for them.

 > > Like anything else, a business can be misused.  But businesses can also be
 > > incredibly powerful tools for doing good.  I like to think that the Ben &
 > > Jerry's slogan: "doing well by doing good" can apply here as well.
 >
 > I sure hope it does.  It just seems to me too early for us to see the
 > precious few companies that have any (even partial) corporate dedication to
 > freedom merging right now.

Hey, trust takes time to develop.

 > I saw I quote in the CNet article (linked from slashdot) that seemed to
 > indicate that there *might* be lay-offs (it didn't say for sure either way,
 > but the hint seemed there).  There are precious few free software jobs
 > already.  I realize that if Cygnus were in financial trouble, an acquisition
 > and a partial cut-back would make sense, but my impression was that Cygnus
 > was *not* in such a stance.  Was it?

How many payroll or human relations departments do you need?  Payroll
scales very well, which is why you have payroll outsourcing firms.