Subject: Re: Be and free software
From: Crispin Cowan <crispin@cse.ogi.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 20:19:05 +0000

Phil Hughes wrote:

> Be is not open source but there appear to be a reasonable number of
> people working on open source applications for BeOS.  I would like to
> get a read on this from the rest of you.  Specifically:
>   * How do you feel about this model (where the OS isn't open source
>     and yet some of the applications are?

I'm completely uninterested.  An OS API needs to be an open standard, so that
competing vendors can build compatible systems.  I can choose from RH or SuSE
or Caldera or Turbo or ... and still expect lots of Linux apps to work.  In
contrast, we have a horrible situation with the win32 API, because of the sole
vendor that provides the implementation.

BeOS is a very nice OS, but as long as there is only a single vendor, I'm
uninterested in touching it.  That's a leap from the frying pan to the fire.

>   * What do you think would happen if BeOS were open source?

Then I would be interested :-)  I might actually take the time to look at BeOS
and consider whether it offers any substantive advantages over Linux.

Crispin
-----
Crispin Cowan, CTO, WireX Communications, Inc.    http://wirex.com
Free Hardened Linux Distribution:                 http://immunix.org