Subject: Re: Fiduciary limitations
From: Crispin Cowan <crispin@cse.ogi.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 05:03:44 +0000

Russell Nelson wrote:

> Sometimes there's no worm under that rock.  For example, legal
> mechanisms to keep drugs out of our country, or to keep encryption in,
> can be seen to be a failure.

On the other hand, those laws can be seen to be wildly successful, if you view
the goal of drug prohibition to be supressing the black/poor/urban population
through systematic adiction and imprisionment, and the goal of crypto export
control to be to prevent strong crypto from becoming common-place in the
domestic market.  Whether those are the goals or not is sheer speculation :-)
but those are the effects.

> Sometimes you just have to trust in the
> market, which means trusting in people.  A largish number of people
> don't trust their fellow man to do what's in their own best interest.
> I don't know why that is, since that's one of the few things you *can*
> trust that people will do.

Agreed, on both counts.

Disclaimer:  the above insane conspiracy theories are entirely my own delusions,
but for a modest licensing fee, they can be your delusions too :-)

Crispin
-----
Crispin Cowan, CTO, WireX Communications, Inc.    http://wirex.com
Free Hardened Linux Distribution:                 http://immunix.org