Subject: Re: forking the list considered harmful
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 15:37:05 -0500

Russ writes:
> I'm half tempted to drop the old code, and just start selling somebody
> else's free software.  Keep the brand and lose the code.  :)

What value would you be adding?  Marketing?  Pointing out to customers
that one of their problems can be solved by one of "your" programs?

So maybe that's how the "selling gpl'ed programs" thing was intended
to work.  To the extent that people want to buy pure marketing,
vendors will arise to provide it.  And I thought it was about selling
the programs.  It's not.  It's about selling the service of marketing.
Meanwhile, the gpl program remains a purely volunteer production.

A member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) http://lpf.ai.mit.edu