Subject: Re: I believe your VA numbers
From: <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 22:16:26 -0800

On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 11:10:43AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> This _is_ the main chance, but Indonesia, Russia, China, and Japan
> _could_ all get their act together simultaneously in that decade, and
> Japan's miracle growth phase will look like the proverbial molehill.
>
> And all of these places (including my current host country) are weak
> on the concept of intellectual property.  Companies and industries
> which are based on repudiating revenues from IP licensing (ie, free
> software) will be well-positioned there.

But are these countries weak from the sense of appropriating for
themselves what is claimed by Gaijen, or for not having, internally, a
strong sense of IP?

Remember that the mechanisms of many free software licenses are heavily
reliant on enforcement of intellectual property law, particularly
copyright law.  How much damage is possible should interests in the far
east fail to continue the quid-pro-quo of Copyleft -- is the coercive
nature of the GNU GPL really necessary.

> The "China goes Linux" play is far-fetched, but with high returns if
> it pays off at all, I think.

(free software style) which it imparts on Microsoft.  We've effectively
shut off a major revenue stream to Redmond by offering a stable, mature,
OS to a country which has yet to create an established computing base.
Granted, Unicode support and internationalization will mean a lot to
Linux here.

> --
> University of Tsukuba                Tennodai 1-1-1 Tsukuba 305-8573 JAPAN
> Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences       Tel/fax: +81 (298) 53-5091
> What are those straight lines for?  "XEmacs rules."

You've been messing with your sig again.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)