Subject: Re: FSB Marketing
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 00:43:21 -0500 (EST)

Stephen J. Turnbull writes:
 > Oh, surely FS authors put together distributions for the fun of it,
 > just like they write code (time and effort) for the fun of it.  No?

Not me.  I've always regarded the endless testing and documenting as a
chore -- punctuated by the occasional outburst of "Is this *really*
worth the effort??" that I referred to earlier.  I'd estimate that a
good fifty people found that easter egg I buried in the CHANGES file,
and bothered to send me mail.

I can reassure everyone that it is indeed worthwhile to document the
changes in exquisite detail.  People really *do* read CHANGES.

 > Software is definitely an exceptional good.  But it is not so
 > exceptional that it stands up and sells itself, like an Asimovian
 > robot.

Yer preachin' to the choir, Father Turnbull.

Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | "Ask not what your country
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | can force other people to
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | do for you..."  -Perry M.