Subject: Re: Patents (was Re: DiBona, Allman, Tiemann, O'Reilly, Perens interview)
From: Mark Shewmaker <mark@primefactor.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 16:23:51 -0500

On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 12:50:54PM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Just a thought:
>
> We've been lamenting software patents for quite some time.  What I think
> might effect a sea change in the perception of patents by the business
> community are business process patents,

In the (work-in-progress) Open Patent License, the definition
of "Software Patents" contains:

        Business method patents also fall under the definition
        of software patents, as do banking and financial services
        patents.

The language can be made clearer and more legally accurate if needed,
but at least I do want to address these business method patents too.

| The implication being, of course, that the idiocy of the PTO is now
| coming of a stage where it impacts Wall Street and the ability of the
| F-500 to transact daily business.  We bay be reaching a watershed at
| which the breakage is so immediately apparent that there will be calls
| for reform, from interests more monied and politically connected than
| the (free) software industry.

Interesting.  I didn't think this was likely to be so imminent a problem
for them, and I haven't talked with any financial or investment
companies yet.  They had been further down on my list.  Thanks for
pointing that email out.

 -Mark Shewmaker
  mark@primefactor.com