Subject: Re: Open Source in E-Commerce
From: "William C. Cheng" <william@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 22:15:42 -0500

  Ben_Tilly@trepp.com wrote:
  | Lynn Winebarger wrote:
  | >On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 Ben_Tilly@trepp.com wrote:
  | >
  | >> Oh I know the answer to that.  I am just eternally amused that academics
  | >> tend to believe that non-academics should share their value system.
  | >>
  | >> For an academic (of course) working as a reviewer is part of what makes
  | >> the whole publish or perish system spin.  By reviewing papers they
  | >> establish connections of value to their future careers and can guide the
  | >> subject in ways that benefit the clique that they are in.
  | >>
  | >    Man, this is a cynical view of the motivation of academics.  Did you
  | >intend to malign every academic, or just the ones you know for whom this
  | >is true?
  |
  | What makes you think this is maligning...?
  |
  | The truth is that I can, of course, only cariacature those corners of
  | academia that I saw.  However of those corners this is indeed a fairly
  | accurate description of what I saw in action.

And it's sooooo easy to generalize...

  | There are good reasons that I am not in academia.

Yeah, I can think of a couple of reasons already.

  | You will have to
  | trust me when I say that lack of ability is not among those reasons...

From the nonsense you've been saying, why should anyone "have to
trust you"?  Because you said so?  I have heard from too many
people with dismo ability using that as a reason why people should
believe them.
--
Bill Cheng // william@cs.umd.edu <URL:http://www.cs.umd.edu/~william/>