Subject: Re: FSBs and client-server
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 14:10:23 -0400 (EDT)

Tim O'Reilly writes:
 > This is an example of the ways that code and "law" need to co-evolve, a
 > position that is very well argued by Larry Lessig's book, Code and other
 > Laws of Cyberspace (http://www.code-is-law.org).  (I highly recommend
 > the book.  You can read my brief review of it in my weblog at
 > http://tim.oreillynet.com.)

I'm of two minds.  On the one hand, I can't plausibly criticize his
ideas without reading them.  On the other hand, I don't want to lend
one iota of credence to his ideas by purchasing the book.  God forbid
it should be my purchase which gets him on any best-seller list.  If
you're looking for a good book to read, go read _Law's Order_ by David
Friedman.

From the little I have gathered from what people have said, and the
excerpts on his web page, he's dubious of the libertarian philosophy.
A lot of smart people are dubious of a free market, because they think
that they can do better because they're so smart, and, well, because
everybody else is dumber than them.  They think that they can escape
the problems of the free market (which are severe) by deciding on the
right thing to do, and then forcing everyone to do it.

There should be ample evidence that this is not possible.  For
example, the Anti-Federalists were right.  They made certain
predictions about how centralization would work if it were not
prohibited, and those predictions came true.  For another, whenever
the government decides matters of religion, it creates the seeds of
war.  Why should economics be any different?

Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | "Ask not what your country
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | can force other people to
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | do for you..."  -Perry M.