Subject: Re: FSBs and client-server
From: Seth David Schoen <schoen@loyalty.org>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 11:36:53 -0700

Russell Nelson writes:

> Tim O'Reilly writes:
>  > This is an example of the ways that code and "law" need to co-evolve, a
>  > position that is very well argued by Larry Lessig's book, Code and other
>  > Laws of Cyberspace (http://www.code-is-law.org).  (I highly recommend
>  > the book.  You can read my brief review of it in my weblog at
>  > http://tim.oreillynet.com.)
>
> I'm of two minds.  On the one hand, I can't plausibly criticize his
> ideas without reading them.  On the other hand, I don't want to lend
> one iota of credence to his ideas by purchasing the book.  God forbid
> it should be my purchase which gets him on any best-seller list.  If
> you're looking for a good book to read, go read _Law's Order_ by David
> Friedman.

I have both _Code_ and _Law's Order_ on my wantlist, because I don't
usually worry about the messages my book purchases send publishers
(other than "keep publishing interesting stuff").

But, if you're really worried about best-seller lists, that's what
used books are for.  I've already seen three used copies of _Code_ for
sale in bookstores in the Bay Area.

Bookfinder.com shows over a dozen used and remaindered copies.  So
you can criticize Lessig's ideas without sending him royalties or
improving his sales statistics, if you insist. :-)