Subject: Re: who's running your business?
From: kmself@ix.netcom.com
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 22:03:55 -0700
Wed, 31 May 2000 22:03:55 -0700
On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 05:24:54PM -0400, Ben Tilly@trepp.com wrote:

> > All of this is well documented in that famous journal,  Somewhere In
> > The Literature .  :)
>
> Make that  Code Complete  by Steve McConnell.  If you have not done
> so already, buy it by yesterday, read it by the day before that, and
> then buy copies for your employees.  I am unsure whether I am kidding
> about that timeline...
>
> Not only does it back up the above statistic (sorry, my copy is at
> home or I would give you chapter and verse) but it gives you
> references to the original research papers as well.

I'll second the recommendation.  CC is what turned me on to Steve
McConnell.  It's a *great* survey of best practices, most of which I see
free software development methods (eg:  "Bazaar" development & modular
design) as being the exemplar.

One of the best attributes of CC is that it actually references and
builds on the other literature out there, including Wienberg, Brooks,
Yourdon (before he turned Rudy Doone), and the rest of the crowd.
Bibliography itself is worth the price of the book, and the book's
great.  My complaint (made to Steve) was that it was written backwards
-- last chapter should go first.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>         http://www.netcom.com/~kmself
  Evangelist, Opensales, Inc.                       http://www.opensales.org