Subject: Re: Open source PoS software?
From: fyl@a42.com (Phil Hughes)
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 08:41:06 -0700 (PDT)

And Russ Nelson went on to say:

>kmself@ix.netcom.com writes:
> > Is anyone familiar with point-of-sale open source software?

> > Anything I've missed?

> Don't think so.  Our food coop is looking for a new cash register, and
> I'd love to be able to give them a Linux solution.  But there seems to
> be none.

I think there is a lot of room here to build some good stuff.  I have a
lot of experience in this area as do a person who works for me and
another who is on the Board of Directors of SSC.  I haven't jumped into
this because of the time I have had to put into Linux Journal but some
stuff is changing that will make is more worthwhile.

First, if you are interested in the embedded use of Linux and not a
Linux Journal subscriber, go out to www.linuxjournal.com, click on
embedded supplement and fill out the form to get a free copy of this
guy.  Besides being pretty cool (ok, I have a vested interest and I did
much of the work to make it happen) it has two different contests in it.
If you want to get into the POS stuff, both offer incentives to get you
moving.

Then, if you are actually interested in talking with someone about
putting together an effort to make a real Linux-based POS system happen
(it pains me every time I go to my favorite little grocery and see them
enter stuff into Windoze 98), e-mail me.  If there is enough interest I
would love to start a development effort.

--
   Phil Hughes ++++ FYL ++++ fyl@a42.com ++++ Phone/FAX (360) 276-4232
              P.O. Box X, Pacific Beach, Washington 98571