Subject: Re: The Declaration of Software Freedom
From: "tony stanco" <stancoa@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 22:07:03

Lessig's book is the model for the idea. I emailed Lessig a few days ago,
but I haven't heard from him yet. (He usually takes a week or so). Zittrain
responded already and liked it.

Anyway, the more original idea is the new commercial organization promised
in the Declaration that we are working on, eg. "The Community is the
Company." We expect to release that in the coming weeks.

BTW. I just got back from the Microsoft appeal and I believe that we can
forget about any more help from the government. The court was very skeptical
on a number of issues and gave indications that they will overturn even some
findings of facts, which is highly unusual. I would forget about the
break-up remedy. I believe that's dead. They may support some watered-down
conduct sanctions, but we know how useful that was in the past. Brace for a
re-invigorated Microsoft. Also, if the appellate court reverses or remands,
expect the new Bush Administration to settle fast, so this never gets to the
Supreme Court. A market solution is the only thing that will work. It all
comes down to free software, I think, to stop Microsoft even more
aggressively leveraging the desktop into everything now.