Subject: Fwd: A World Without Microsoft article
From: TonStanco@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:36:07 EST
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:36:07 EST

Subject: A World Without Microsoft article
From: Tony Stanco <tonstanco@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:24:14 EST

FYI, you may be interested in this link at LinuxToday
[http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-03-28-006-20-OS-CY]

There is the RedPepper article, (which is interesting so say the least),
the update and the talkbacks at LinuxToday, all at the same url.

+++++++++++
UPDATED: RedPepper: A World Without Microsoft
Mar 29, 2001, 14 :09 UTC (33 Talkback[s]) (6721 reads) (Other stories by
Heather Sharp)

Tony Stanco wrote in this morning with these thoughts:

A lot of commentators to this article are trying to use inappropriate
terms, and so are missing a huge point. We are entering the intellectual
age, so your great grandfather's socio-economic labels no longer apply.
We need to find new terms and ideas to describe our own reality.

And to do that you need to go back to first principles, which is why
FreeDevelopers wiped the slate clean and went back to the most basic
principles:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men and women are
created equal, that they are endowed with certain inalienable Rights,
and that chief among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of
Happiness.
And went on from there in the Declaration of Software Freedom and The
Community is the Company (CommCo) organizational structure.

I call the emerging paradigm "democratic economics" and the new
commercial organizations, "democratic economic structures." But who
cares what you call it. But you need to understand that we are in a new,
strange land.

Someone some time back said I should look at Dee Hock's "Birth of the
Chaordic Age." Dee Hock is the founder of VISA and since the VISA
structure is one of the models for the FreeDevelopers', The Community is
the Company (CommCo) structure, I was meaning to take a look for awhile.
Well, I had some down-time on Tuesday and went to the library and picked
it up.

And this is what he says on the back cover:

We are at the very point in time when a 400-year-old age is dying and
another is struggling to be born - a shifting of culture, science,
society, and institutions enormously greater than the would has ever
experienced. Ahead, the possibility of regeneration of individuality,
liberty, community and ethics, such as the world has never known, and a
harmony with nature, with one another and with the divine intelligence
such as the wolrld has always dreamed.
In short, he gets it. In fact, boy, does he get it. I haven't finished
it, yet, but so far there is a lot in it that is spot-on.

He calls it chaordic (chaos and order). 1. the behaviour of any
self-governing organism, organization or system which harmoniously
blends characteristics of order and chaos. 2. patterned in a way
dominated by neither chaos or order.

I would add, democratic self-governing organization or system, but so
what. The ideas are there.

The reason that the VISA model was so appealing for FreeDevelopers is
because it is a model of competition and cooperation between the
independent member banks who use the VISA structure to solve their
collective action problems that they had when they had the same
networking problems as the independent free software projects are having
now.

So we are at a point where old thinking isn't going to help. In fact, it
hurts. You are going to have to think for yourself for awhile. But
that's the fun part.