Subject: Re: [Freesw] priorart.org
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 08:12:50 -0400 (EDT)

bennett@nomolog.nagoya-u.ac.jp writes:
 > the war on software patents.  If one wishes to see the coverage of software
 > patents constrained, then so long as this initiative does not show promise of
 > affirmatively worsening the problem, I would think that one should be inclined
 > to support it.

Stallman is saying that it affirmatively worsens the problem.

 > But it does prepare the ground for a strong rebuttal to a warning letter:
 > "Thank you for drawing attention to this important technology.  Please note
 > that the PTO recognizes filings in the IP.com archive as prior art.  This
 > technology, for the purposes for which we are using it, is listed in that
 > archive.  The references are attached.  Have a nice day."

I don't see the advantage of priorart.org over any other publication.
Or is it simply that priorart.org happens to be recognized as a
publication by the PTO even though it's online?  Wouldn't it be a
better precedent to get them to recognize registration on
freshmeat.net as publication?

--
-russ nelson will be speaking at http://www.osdn.com/conferences/handhelds/