Subject: Re: Opportunity lost? Challenge declined!? (LONG. COMPREHENSIVE)
From: Dave Turner <novalis@novalis.org>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 12:08:20 -0400

Russell Nelson wrote:

> Stephen J. Turnbull writes:
>  > RMS does too.  But he, like Rawls, is interested in "primary goods,"
>  > in particular, freedom.  He is not interested in whether people live
>  > materially more comfortable lives in freedom or in slavery, and no
>  > amount of material wealth can compensate for slavery.
>
> I'm not going to argue against the idea that an attribute
> (e.g. freedom, or healthcare, or the environment) can be held to be
> priceless.  I'll just note that someone who feels this way can only
> have one such attribute.

No, a person can have many such attributes, so long as they do not
conflict.  In fact, they can even conflict, so long as the person does
not mind being torn apart inside.  There are situations where there is
no right answer, and absolute values tend to multiply these situations.
For instance, I think RMS would hold freedom of religion as similarly
priceless to free software - but the two do not conflict.

--
-Dave Turner                               Stalk me:  (215)-545-2859
I met a fascist at the beach the other day.  I don't think I knew that