Subject: Re: Releasing under OS, what License?
From: Michael Tiemann <tiemann@redhat.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 00:50:22 -0400

I think these points are interesting given IBM's recent commitment to spend >=
$1B on Linux, and noises of other really large companies committing other
mind-bending (multi-hundred $million) ammounts.  I will also say that it will
be interesting to see how open source holds up when two behemoths both invest
$millions to assumedly improve the technologies to meet a particular customer's
requirements.

Not naming any companies, I would say that the early returns look positive for
open source: large investments in bad code seem to be rejected by maintainers
who'd rather live comfortably with good code than lavishly with bad.  However,
not all customers trust open source maintainers, and many customers can be
bought by vendors (as proprietary software has shown).  So the jury is still out.