Subject: Re: Q: Can you build an authentication system on OS?
From: Zimran Ahmed <zimran@creativegood.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 01 11:20:08 -0400

>In my opinion, the authentication and software subscription parts
>are kind of ho-hum... but I think the CLR and IL kick ass. It would

maybe from a technological perspective, but not from a customer
perspective.

>The thought of a .GNU is almost ludicrous to me. For one, the
>components o .NET that the .GNU people on FreeDevelopers have
>choosen to concentrate on is essentially a Hailstorm clone.
>Hailstorm is not in itself innovative, aping it is even less
>innovative.

Hailstorm raises three business concerns:

1) Privacy -- will Microsoft abuse my personal data in some way? (they
have been abusive in the past)
2) Security -- will Microsoft be able to keep my data secure? (their
security has been substandard in the past)
3) Competition -- will market forces be able to drive down the price and
increase the service?

.GNU directly effects 3), and maybe 1) and 2). Ideally, the data would be
kept in one central place (of some sort), and different vendors would
have to compete with each other to provide the service to customers.
Competition will improve the service and lower the price. In Microsoft's
architecture, no competing vendors are allowed to provide the
infrastructure services, and the commission MSFT decides to charge for
its authentication services (say) is therefore under no price pressure.

zimran