Subject: on copyright and digital media
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 01:00:37 -0700 (PDT)

This is from salon.com (http://www.salon.com/tech/inbox/index.html):

	There are few words that better please a journalist than "I
	told you so." We found it, therefore, hard to contain our
	schadenfreude when we read the news that peer-to-peer music
	trading on the Net hit an all-time high in August. According
	to the analysts at Webnoize, over three billion files were
	downloaded that month by users of the Napster clones
	FastTrack, Audiogalaxy, iMesh and Gnutella. Napster, by
	comparison, ait its peak only boasted 2.79 billion files in
	February 2001.

	[....]

	We are not gleeful that artists are still going uncompensated
	for their work.

-t