Subject: Linux mass desktop rollouts?
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 23:02:57 -0700
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 23:02:57 -0700
Given events online and off of the past several weeks, I'm wondering if
anyone (and if so, who) is looking at large-scale GNU/Linux-based
desktop rollouts.

Dislocations in NYC require upwards of 20,000 workstations to be
deployed in short order.  While made-to-order systems, with a standard
system image, are certainly one solution, I'd think that the NC model
with a set of centralized servers (with both onsite and offsite
redundancy and backups) would be a very good fit for both rapid
rollouts, and multiple large-scale office relocations as is likely to
occur as reconstruction occurs.

Comments on benefiting from tragedy aside, is anyone aware of such
projects?

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]