Subject: X-box, MS, the net, and embedded systems
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 03:32:06 -0700 (PDT)

There's a curious little fluff piece in this month's wired about the
ultimate "hacker's home" built around XP and compatible gadgets.

Am I alone in thinking this is, in effect, a warning sign for FSBs
operating in the Linux/Internet space?  I mean, they're basically
saying "here is Bill Joy's vision, realized by MSFT, available now or
very shortly."

The X-Box piece is interesting too.  Aside from telling the story of
the state of HW design and mfg, it gives a twisted vision of how
X-boxes will lead to PC-hardware sales.

I think they missed the point.  X-box and successors *are* the new PC.

Ya know -- "we" have a bunch of useful components scattered about the
place to compete head on with this....

-t