Subject: Re: torvalds
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 01:54:21 -0700 (PDT)

	Russ:

       > Okay, but could you try not to introduce new topics whose subject is
       > the name of a person, and then go on to criticize that person's work
       > inside the message?

Out of respect for our host, I'll try to remember that some find that
particular pattern offensive.

We come from different backgrounds.  Where I come from, not taking
those kinds of things personally is an engineer's virtue.  And
"torvalds" is a good nick-name for a significant body of dubious
mythology about software engineering (to the good credit of the person
whose name is borrowed to refer to that mythology).  I don't think
he's a bad guy or even unusually foolish, and I do value his work.

"lord" (now there's a foolish guy!) is a good nickname for some bad
practices, too.  I'm thinking especially of my botching the early days
of the public GNU Guile project by being too eager to maximize the
numbers and contributions of volunteers at the cost of keeping the
project on-track.  I'm sooo humilated.  (Really.  Sort of.)

-t