Subject: Re: Ghostscript, GPL, printers, ...
From: "Adam J. Richter" <adam@yggdrasil.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 08:37:36 -0800

>> = Adam Richter
>  = Peter Deutsch

>>	I believe that the benefit to Alladin would be that more
>> people would use the latest Ghostscript, improving your bug detection
>> and user interest in latest versions.

>But that is at least partly because distributors of GPL'ed software
>currently don't want users to know that there are better AFPL'ed versions
>available.  In other words, FSF and Yggdrasil (among others) find that it's
>in their interest to make it less easy for people to find and use the latest
>and best Ghostscript, and then turn around and say "See, if you put
>Ghostscript under the GPL, more people would use the latest and best
>Ghostscript."  I think this is a perfectly reasonable self-interested thing
>to be doing in the cause of promoting GPL over AFPL or other more restricted
>licenses, but from my point of view it has a bit the flavor of creating
>artificial scarcity.

	Yggdrasil is not trying to restrict the dissemenation of
product information.  I tell people about Aladdin Ghostscript when
they ask a question that is relevant to it.  Your software is
available on the internet.  We have products where consisting entirely
of software the is freely redistributable in the GNU sense is
strategically important.  The cost breaking this feature for the minor
benefits of upgrading to the latest Aladdin Ghostscript is not worth
it.  You may be interested to know that there is a ton of other free
software out there that we do not include in these products, for
starters because it would not all fit without driving up the cost by
adding more CD's.  We have 18GB just in our internal FTP mirrors.