Subject: BSA: January "Truce" ads airing, SF Bay Area
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 23:03:22 -0800
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 23:03:22 -0800
I've started hearing the Business Software Alliance's "Truce" campaign
ads airing locally in the San Francisco Bay Area, several times in the
past two days on KDFC, the classical music station.

The ads are thinly veiled shakedown/threat rackets:  with a leading
question "so, how does the BSA get most of its leads?", businesses are
told that most software piracy complaints are filed by former or
disgruntled employees (and what company still operating today doesn't
have plenty of both), and that fines, to $150,000 per incident of
piracy, are far more expensive than compliance.

The grace period runs through the end of January.

While there's been some discussion of the BSA's campaign in the trade
press, it seems to me that this would be the ideal time for a
countercampaign by free software related companies (IBM, RH, Sendmail,
Sun with StarOffice) to pitch free software alternatives.

With current media markets being what they are, rates should be good,
might be a worthwhile project.  Otherwise, editorializing in the press
is strongly recommended.

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]