Subject: Re: x-box competition
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:32:39 -0800 (PST)

       mike_lee@iprimus.com.au:

       >lord@regexps.com:
       >
       >Sony puts linux in the living room.
       >
       >	http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/01-30-2002/0001658223&EDATE=
       >
       >I quite like the spirit and "realisticness" of:
       >
       >Not that I expect them to make a mint with this -- but it's the right
       >general idea.

       No offence, but isn't this out of topic? This is probabily more suitable
       post for linuxgames.com

	[....]

	[isn't this] redundant information [ for most of the audience ]

	[...]

	I _love_ technical stuff but this question
	is put into the wrong context, wrong environment for fruitful
	discussion.

At its best, in my view, FSB is a forum in which inter-corporate FSB
strategizing takes place at levels ranging from the very abstract
(e.g. theories of economics) to the relatively specific (e.g. how, as
an industry, FSBs can reach individual consumers).  Efficient
inter-corporate coordination in business and engineering is a unique
strength of FSBs.  The more shared state in that area, the better.

I didn't forward the news story pointer here simply because it
mentioned free software, but rather because it suggests that Sony is
thinking in strategic directions that have been discussed on this list
and that are also present in the PR of more than one prominent FSB.

In that spirit, I don't think the news story is at all off topic.
There's a lot of context, from multiple posters on this list and in
the FSB world generally, to which it is relevant.

Finally, I believe that trying to draw a line between high-level
technical discussion and business discussion would be a big mistake.
The form that tech. businesses take is constrained by the form of the
technology they work with: you can't consider one without
simultaneously considering the other.

Aside from all that, I am sorry if the message offended you.

-t