Subject: Re: improving project maintainership
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 20:11:16 -0700 (MST)

    > The people in a particular community do not necessary agree in
    > their views.

    But you are careful to define this community precisely *by* the people
    who espouse its views.

What I said is exactly the opposite: the free software community
includes people with very different views.  By contrast, the free
software *movement* is a group of people with certain views.

It is because people in the community disagree that we are having
an argument here.

    To say we are in the same community when one party is so unwilling to
    cooperate is absurd. It is rather like saying that Christians, Moslems, and
    Jews are in a common community made up of believers in the Western idea of
    deity.

There are Christians, Moslems, Jews, and Atheists in the community
where I live.  There are Liberals like me and Conservatives in it.
People in my community have substantial disagreements on issues of
ethics and politics, and the same is true in most communities that
allow freedom of thought.

    To say we are in the same community when one party is so unwilling to
    cooperate

We are willing to cooperate with people who treat us with ordinary
respect (the same respect we would expect to give them), in ways that
help advance our goals.  We will not set our goals aside just in order
to have cooperation.  Also, we will not try to work with people who
treat us contemptuously even if the activity seems like a good one.