Subject: Re: Value returned from free(d) software
From: "L. Peter Deutsch" <ghost@aladdin.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 97 10:29 PST

> Nahhhh.  You can't solely count the value in financial terms.

Precisely.  That's why I said the "the desire to maximize profit ... doesn't
apply to THE USE-VALUE OF the software."  You just provided the other half
of this argument, namely some good points about what OTHER kinds of value
developers derive from writing the software.

> I think that *some* freed software can pay very well.  In particular,
> software that is OEM'ed by proprietary software or hardware
> manufacturers, e.g. Crynwr packet drivers, Aladdin Ghostscript, and
> Cygnus Solutions GNU system.

Aladdin Ghostscript pays well through being licensed with a non-libre
license.  What kind of licenses for the Crynwr packet drivers and the Cygnus
Solutions GNU system provide the revenue?  Are they libre licenses that
provide revenue through services (support / customization), or non-libre
licenses?

--

L. Peter Deutsch         |       Aladdin Enterprises :::: ghost@aladdin.com
203 Santa Margarita Ave. | tel. +1-650-322-0103 (AM only); fax +1-650-322-1734