Subject: Re: Value returned from free(d) software
From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@nirvana.datawave.net>
Date: 3 Dec 1997 18:45:02 -0000

   Date: 3 Dec 1997 18:41:36 -0000
   From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>

   Nonetheless, if I were going to do it again, I would have used the
   FPL, not the GPL.  I was a dope to give away that much value to
   companies the likes of FTP Software, Distinct, Beame & Whiteside,
   Esker, J.River, and others.

You weren't a dope, you were a pioneer.

Because of what you have done, you have *created* a marketplace for
freed software, which you (and others) may participate in.

The return for this investment can be much larger than the traditional
model -- use Cygnus as an example.

Brian
     Brian J. Fox                                     bfox@ua.com
     http://www.metahtml.com/~bfox        http://www.metahtml.com
      "What's all this stuff about `websites' anyway?  Does this
       mean that I have to dust more often?"  -- Martha Davis, 1996