Subject: Re: developers & marketing
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 4 Dec 1997 04:22:29 -0000

L. Peter Deutsch writes:
 > Software developers can learn, do learn, and have learned to run successful
 > businesses, including coming up with creative ways to make potential
 > customers aware of the existence and value of their software.  Software
 > developers, not marketing/sales people, created the GPL and the AFPL.  I
 > have yet to see a marketing/sales person learn to produce substantial
 > functional value in code.

And agree with you, and I agree with David that marketing is
essential.  Yes, even freed code needs to be marketed.  First, to let
people know about the code.  Businesses spend HUGE amounts of money to
get the word out about their product.  Freed software has an ace up
its floppy disk sleeve, however.  Freed software gets marketed every
time someone gives away a copy.  It's word-of-mouth advertising writ
large.  It's the biggest Multi-Level-Marketing system in the world.

This is something that proprietary software can't touch, by definition.

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>  http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson  | Freedom is the
Crynwr Software supports freed software | PGPok |   primary cause of peace.