Subject: Re: rethinking open source?
From: Jack Park <jackpark@thinkalong.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 21:16:05 -0700

At 12:01 AM 6/21/2002 -0400, Russell Nelson wrote:
><snip/>
>Source-Available software.

And, we saw earlier Disclosed-source.

What's behind this quest(?) is the thesis that there might exist an
opportunity to rethink business models, and those, I think, are driven by
the license that covers whatever IP the business model serves.

I happen to be interested in the chaordic commons ( http://www.chaordic.org
), invented by the fellow that turned BankAmericard into Visa International
so that many banks could play nice in the same sandbox and still compete
with each other.  I think that's what OpenDoc would have enabled, and which
DCOM does enable -- a common distribution system and market pool into which
software developers could toss their products, some of which would compete
with others in the same pool, much as banks compete with each other for
credit card customers.

The trick, from such a perspective, is to sort out an "open source
software" license that could suit such a business model.  Clearly,
source-available, disclosed-source, and the like, hint at the intent.

Jack