Subject: Choardic Commons
From: Scott Capdevielle <scott@syndicom.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 11:17:27 -0700

That group (Chaordic Commons) is a very interesting organization, even
more so because of Dee Hock. I read a case study of VISA a while back
and tried to model part of the software company I founded on the VISA
model. Didn't work because there was little support from the top but it
is a great model.

I sent this message out to the JXTA community a few days ago and no
suggestions so I would like to put it to this group.
One of the reasons that open source projects like this works so well is
that the participants are intrinsically motivated. This means that when
we contribute to these projects we are motivated by things other than
short term payouts.  In fact, research has shown that remuneration
actually "crowds out" the other incentives for collaborating, i.e. if a
commercial entity approached this group to develop 'for pay' the same
things we are developing now, the pace of development and collaboration
we see would start to deteriorate.
So the question I ask is this: is it possible for this community (JXTA)
to organize itself to respond to commercial needs/demands without
sacrificing the current level of collaboration? If so how?